What Are AmberPax™ Collections?

Simply put, AmberPax™ Collections are groups of five stories centered around a specific theme. Each story within an AmberPax™ is released individually, on the same day as the others, and can be purchased separately, but these five stories can also be purchased as a single unit (the full AmberPax™) at a discount, currently 25%. Generally, an AmberPax™ is similar to an "anthology" of stories, but instead of the titles being released in only a single volume (file), they are also available individually. These AmberPax™ Collections are sold exclusively through our website and only in electronic format.

THIS BLOG is for news about the Pax Collections - follow it to keep up with releases, find early news of the upcoming collections, and share Pax fun and chat with the authors!

All Amber Paxes can be bought at Amber Quill HERE.

Tuesday 3 November 2015

Happiness Is a Warm Bum by J.D. Walker

(Book 3 of the Let It Beatle series)

Austin Murray is fifty years old, owns a bookstore and loves to walk on the beach every morning at sun-up. He’s a beachcomber, too, always in search of something unique to add to his collection. One such winter morning, an unkempt, sad-looking stranger roars into his life on a motorbike and his heart turns over for the first time, ever.

Murphy Vickers is world-weary, hurting and unable to connect with anyone. He travels from town to town looking for work, but never stays anywhere very long. He’s trying to outrun a painful event in his past that haunts him to this day. When he stops in a seaside town, he meets Austin, who offers him work and a place to stay for however long he needs.

Though a hard worker, Murphy is surly and reticent, no matter how friendly and open Austin tries to be. Austin almost despairs of getting through to him until the unexpected help of a local veteran sheds some light on Murphy’s past.

Slowly, Austin breaks through Murphy’s barriers and hopes the biker will decide that a sleepy seaside town and a maturing bachelor might be worth settling down for, even if it’s just for a little while.

Genres: Gay/Contemporary/Series
Heat Level: 2
Length: Extended Amber Kiss (12k words) 


Read a short excerpt...

...I looked at myself in the mirror, blue eyes sparkling, gray hair mixed with brown in need of a cut. The crow’s feet at the corners of my eyes, the laugh lines on my face, all spoke of a life lived, and yet, I had room for one more experience, and I wanted it with Murphy.

When it was lunchtime at the bookstore, I left Maury in charge and headed to the diner. I saw Murphy’ bike out front, and through the glass, I glimpsed him leaning against the counter, talking to Bertha.

I entered the restaurant and greeted both of them. “I got lasagna for you today,” Bertha said and went right back to flirting with Murphy. He was giving as good as he got, and though I felt a little envy, I was happy he had relaxed enough to have some fun.

When I seated myself in a far booth, Murphy joined me on the other side. “Bertha’s trying to recruit me to work in her kitchen.”

“She’s shameless, is our Bertha, and pretty single-minded. Don’t let her force anything on you.”

He grinned, and the sight of it hit me like a freight train. “No one ever forces me to do anything I don’t want to. You can believe that.”

“I do.”

A few minutes later, Bertha brought two helpings of lasagna and iced tea for both of us. “Enjoy, boys, and Austin, make sure you convince Murphy to stay. We need more good-looking men in this town.”

“What’s that say about me?” I retorted.

She just laughed and walked away.

“So, what do you think?” I asked as I took a bite of my food.

Murphy shrugged. “I dunno. I like cooking, and I don’t have anywhere to be, but I can take it or leave it.” He drank some iced tea, and the wetness of his lips was distracting.

“Keep an open mind,” I replied. “Not too many places like this around. And you have a friend here in Leonard, and me, too, if you’d like.” I focused on my plate and wondered if he heard the undertone.

“You thought I was asleep this morning when you untangled from me, didn’t you?”

I almost choked on my food. “What are you talking about?”

He smirked. “I pretended to be asleep when you got up. It was nice to wake up with someone in my arms. Hadn’t had that since the army, and being on the road is damned lonely.” And just like that, the mood changed.

“Is that what you want? To be with someone again, in a relationship? Would that make you feel human again?”

“I wouldn’t mind it at all, but I’m also used to moving around, too. I don’t know if I can have both those things, or if my wanderlust is permanent.”

“I guess you’re gonna have to figure it out, huh?”

“Yeah.”

We finished our meal and I went back to work, hoping for the impossible...

No comments:

Post a Comment